Professional Teeth Whitening
If you are unhappy with the shade of your teeth, you might have thought about getting your teeth whitened. You may have even tried some of the myriad over-the-counter teeth whitening toothpastes or whitening strips only to be disappointed by the lack of results. Professional teeth whitening — under the supervision of your dentist — may be able to provide more dramatic, noticeable results.
Teeth Whitening Services
At West Coast Dental, we offer at-home teeth whitening, as well as in-office professional teeth whitening. Dental whitening treatment can mean better results in less time. Our teeth whitening services can boost your self-confidence — and it can even make you look years younger.
In-office Dental Whitening
Dental whitening is safer and more effective than over-the-counter kits and toothpastes. With professional teeth whitening, you don’t have to worry about safety. Most of our patients report feeling none of the sensitivity after whitening that often occurs after over-the-counter teeth whitening. When you opt for dental whitening under the supervision of a dental professional, your gums and soft tissues are protected for safer, more comfortable results.
Teeth Whitening At-Home
Unlike over-the-counter whitening kits, our dental whitening at-home kits come with custom-fitted dental whitening trays. This ensures that more of the whitening agent comes into contact with the surfaces of your teeth rather than your gums. The end result is more effective whitening and less sensitivity from the gel touching soft tissues.
Benefits Of In-Office Dental Whitening
In-office cosmetic teeth whitening offers the following benefits:
- Quicker results. You can leave the dentist’s office with teeth that are several shades lighter than when you walked in.
- Customized treatment. Over-the-counter whitening kits provide one-size-fits-all results. With in-office cosmetic teeth whitening, you and your dentist can talk about what whitening results you are seeking for a customized treatment.
- Comfort. In many cases, people use over-the-counter teeth whitening kits incorrectly, and the resulting sensitivity can be uncomfortable. Your dentist will take steps to ensure that gums and soft tissues are protected from coming into contact with the whitening gel so you’ll have less sensitivity after the procedure.
Dental Whitening Procedure
There are several steps involved with the professional dental whitening procedure:
- Cleaning. Before having your teeth professionally whitened, we recommend that you have your teeth cleaned to remove surface stains and built-up tartar and plaque. This will help ensure better whitening results.
- Pre-whitening. Your dentist will record the current shade of your teeth, talk to you about your desired results and decide on the amount of whitening solution and bleaching agent to use.
- Drying out the mouth. To keep saliva from interfering with the dental whitening process, your dentist will use retractors and gauze pads to keep your cheeks and tongue away from your teeth and the whitening gel.
- Coating and activation. The gel will be applied to the front of your teeth and left to sit there for a certain period of time. Your dentist may use a bleaching light or laser to activate the whitening solution.
How to Care for Your Teeth After Whitening
After going through the teeth whitening process, most people wish to protect their results for as long as possible. The first 24 hours after the procedure are particularly important. So, it’s crucial that you avoid food and beverages that can cause staining and avoid smoking or using tobacco products. If you don’t, you’ll notice the whiteness of your teeth start to dull after just a few months.
Standard Oral Care
Follow proper oral care after having your dental whitening treatment. This includes brushing immediately after eating or drinking anything that might stain your teeth. Follow proper oral care by brushing your teeth in the morning and evening, and be sure to floss at least once per day (preferably at night). You can also rinse with mouthwash every morning and night.
The Following Should Be Consumed in Moderation After Whitening
- Dark Sodas
- Red Wines
- Tobacco Products
- Deeply-Colored Sauces
Teeth Whitening Before and After
As shown in the before and after shot, professional teeth whitening can provide patients with impressive results. Your dentist can talk to you about what kind of results you can expect.
Getting Your Teeth Whitening Treatment at West Coast Dental
You can trust the team of board-certified specialists at West Coast Dental to provide you with experienced, comfortable care. Find out about same-day appointments. We also accept most insurance companies.
Team of Board-Certified Specialists
Our team of board-certified specialists includes general dentists, as well as oral surgeons, periodontists, pedodontists, endodontists and orthodontists. We are proud to have their knowledge and skills available at our West Coast Dental offices.
Same-day Appointments Available
Call us at 888-329-8111 to request an appointment for professional teeth whitening or for any other dental service. We offer same-day appointments for emergencies, as well.